We’ve all heard of the worst-offending candies to avoid, like sour candies and sticky candies, but at this time of the year when treats are everywhere we look, what are some sweet treats that we and the kiddos can enjoy?
1) Lollipops with xylitol. Kids never notice the missing sugar or the tooth strengthening benefits of xylitol, they just enjoy the special treat. We recently were given some of these lollipops from a pediatric dentist – yes! – a dentist shared these with my boys, so it gets my seal of approval.
2) Dark chocolate. Make it a fun kitchen project by melting some quality dark chocolate and letting your kids help coat raisins or sesame seeds. In moderation, dark chocolate is a heart-healthy superfood, so you can enjoy without the guilt.
3) Nubblers by Green Plate Foods. Nubblers are yummy two-bite fruit snacks that will help satisfy that sweet tooth without compromising taste or causing a sugar rush. With just 5 all natural, nutritious ingredients, you know exactly what your child is getting out of that treat – no tricks here! These are great to have out at your Halloween Party, for both kids and adults. Not only do we love Nubblers, we love supporting our fellow Houston mama Lisa Pounds, and grateful she is bringing so many healthy options to market for kids.
4) Fruit with dip. I recently had a couple of delicious caramel apple recipes up on the LG newsletter made with in-season crisp apples and a simple homemade caramel sauce. The two recipes are a bit of a twist on the old favorite – mini apples and caramel apple nachos.
5) Make a trade. Life is all about choices and moderation, right? When we are overwhelmed by the amount of sugary treats and too tempted to leave it be (like me), select some to keep and enjoy, and give the rest away. I just shared some ideas to get rid of all that Halloween candy without eating it on Endlessly Inspired, one of my favorite blogs.
What is your favorite treat this time of year?
Author: Candace Thomas