This shop has been compensated by Collective Bias, Inc. and its advertiser. All opinions are mine alone. #BringYourBestBowl #Target #CollectiveBias
Our entire family loves to eat oatmeal and we are huge fans of Quaker® Oats, especially the Old Fashioned Quaker® Oatmeal. We make oatmeal for breakfast several times a week and enjoy trying out new combinations of toppings. It makes my life as a mom pretty easy in the morning. I make a big batch of Old Fashioned Quaker® Oatmeal, and put out tons of topping options including fruit, nuts and cream. Everyone can customize their own bowl depending on how they are feeling that day, and I feel good knowing that everyone had a hearty and filling breakfast.
Check out this end cap at my local Target store. It is full of Quaker® Oats oatmeal, including instant, flavored and inspiring topping ideas for the Quaker’s National “Bring Your Best Bowl” Contest. This is a pretty cool sweepstakes: you can win $250,000 and top recipe entries will be created and sold in stores for a limited time in the Fall of 2016. I’m definitely entering a recipe for a chance to inspire the next Quaker Oatmeal flavor, and it looks something like this:
Can you guess what it is? My recipe is a twist on a classic Italian combination of flavors: fig, honey, pistachio and mascarpone cheese. Mascarpone cheese is similar to cream cheese, but a bit sweeter and lighter. You know the fluffy and sweet cream in tiramisu? That’s mascarpone cheese!
Combining this rich cream with a nutty yet sweet crunch of pistachio, the earthy and unique texture of ripe figs and a drizzle of honey all mixed into the hearty oatmeal…it’s creamy, sweet and salty all at once. The flavors take me back to adventures in Italy when I would eat fresh figs right off the trees.
What you’ll need for 2 servings:
1 cup Old Fashioned Quaker® Oatmeal
1 3/4 cups Water
2 TBSP Mascarpone Cheese
2 Fresh Figs (if fresh figs aren’t in season, you can use dried figs)
Pistachios (approximately 20, shelled)
1. Prepare the Quaker® Oats oatmeal according to the instructions for two people using water.
2. While you are waiting for the water to boil, gently rinse and pat dry the figs and shell about ten pistachios per bowl. Remove the stems and slice the figs into six equal pieces each.
3. Divide the cooked oatmeal into two bowls.
4. Arrange the six slices of fig in a circle pattern.
5. Scoop a heaping tablespoon of mascarpone cheese
6. Scatter ten (or so) shelled pistachios on top.
7. Drizzle with honey.
I know, I know, the pictures are making me hungry, too! Tell me, what unique combinations of ingredients do you like on your oatmeal?
- 1 cup Quaker® Oats Old Fashioned Oatmeal
- 1 3/4 cups Water
- 2 TBSP Mascarpone Cheese
- 2 Fresh Ripe Figs
- Shelled Pistachios, about 20
- 1. Prepare the Quaker® Oats oatmeal according to the instructions for two people using water.
- 2. While you are waiting for the water to boil, gently rinse and pat dry the figs and shell about ten pistachios per bowl. Remove the stems and slice the figs into six equal pieces each.
- 3. Divide the cooked oatmeal into two bowls.
- 4. Arrange the six slices of fig in a circle pattern.
- 5. Scoop a heaping tablespoon of mascarpone cheese
- 6. Scatter ten (or so) shelled pistachios on top.
- 7. Drizzle with honey.
- 8. Enjoy!
Author: Candace Thomas